Best Travel Credit Cards of 2022
Travelling has become cheaper in recent years, however, the exchange rates and bank charges have only soared to new highs. How does one travel the world and not spend their savings on fees? How do you avoid the double conversion fees that most traditional banks are so fond of applying? Prepaid debit cards issued by electronic money companies are the answer. You've been missing out if you haven't been paying attention to the e-money market. Companies have done an excellent job of establishing themselves as competitors to large banks.
However, because the e-money industry is still in its infancy, it is not without flaws. There are numerous options to consider, which can be difficult for travellers. That is why Askwallet has compiled a list of the best travel cards for you.
What is a travel card?
A travel card, also known as a travel money card, allows you to pre-load money on a card and carry it with you as you travel the world. It's an excellent way to avoid carrying cash and avoiding high banking fees.
Travel money cards are not the same as regular credit cards issued by banks. You do not accumulate debt with Money cards, and you spend the money you deposit on the card. They have numerous advantages over credit cards, and we will discuss some of their features later in this article.
The cards are typically accepted at various stores and ATMs around the world, with low ATM and purchase fees for travelers.
Why are travel credit cards better?
If you are someone who travels a lot for pleasure or business then getting a travel credit card is a no-brainer. Just the perks and miles you can rack up alone make it the better credit card for your needs. However, they are other benefits that make travel cards better:
- Many travel credit cards offer great perks that can save you money on your next trip.
- Some of the best travel credit cards offer free or discounted travel, which can save you hundreds of dollars on your next vacation.
- Other travel credit cards offer rewards points that can be used for future travel expenses.
- Some travel credit cards even offer insurance benefits that can protect you from financial loss if your trip is canceled or interrupted.
- Travel credit cards can also help you build up your credit history, which can be helpful in the future when you need to apply for loans or other financial products.
- Finally, many travel credit cards offer promotional financing options that can give you a temporary break on interest rates while you're paying off your balance.
Is it worth getting a travel card?
Travel credit cards can offer a great way to save money on travel expenses, but they're not for everyone. Consider your travel habits and whether you think you could benefit from a travel card before making a decision. There are a few things to keep in mind when looking for the best travel card for you, such as annual fees, interest rates, and rewards programs. With so many options out there, it can be hard to decide which card is right for you. Our list of the best rewards credit cards of 2022 can help you narrow down your choices and find the perfect card for your needs.
What are the best Travel credit cards for International Travel?
There are tons of EMI credit cards available for international travel. We have selected the best five credit cards for international travel in this ocean of options.
Wise (Formerly TransferWise)
Wise offers a multi-currency debit card that is linked to their Borderless Account. Wise users can convert their currency at market value and avoid paying too much. The payment system accepts over 50 different currencies and offers competitive exchange rates.
Users can order a prepaid debit card with their borderless account for a one-time fee of 5 EUR. With Wise, you can watch all of your high fees on exchange rates and ATM withdrawals vanish. You can send money internationally in different currencies without fear of incurring bank-breaking fees. More information on the company's fees can be found here. MasterCard, which is accepted in over 210 countries, backs the card.
Wise travel Cards are available for users in Switzerland, the USA, Canada, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia, Singapore, and other EU countries.
Wise Card Features
- You can sync your card with Apple Pay or Samsung Pay.
- You can withdraw money from ATMs for free up to £200/$250. Following that, an ATM fee of 1.75 percent will be imposed.
- Because they are powered by MasterCard, they are accepted in a wide range of locations.
- International Bank Account Number.
- Currency conversion rates are low (typically between 0.35-1 percent, plus a small fixed fee.)
- Over 50 currencies are available for loading onto your card.
- There is a mobile app available for both Android and iOS users.
- If your card is stolen or lost, you can freeze it directly from the mobile app or website.
Wise Reward and miles
Unfortunately, Wise doesn't provide a reward for new users anymore. We are unable to find a miles program on the company's website.
Because of the reasons we will discuss now, many travelers consider Revolut to be the best travel credit card. Revolut has altered the game by offering accounts that are linked to a contactless prepaid debit card. The mobile app allows you to easily access your current account and make transfers from your bank account to the card.
Revolut has distinguished itself from the competition by providing a secure and convenient travel card. Transferring money abroad is simple and inexpensive once your Revolut account is loaded. Not to mention that users receive real-time exchange rates that reflect the market. On weekends, however, the exchange rates are slightly higher.
The great thing about Revolut is that it's not only for travelers; businesses and freelancers can take advantage of low fees as well.
Revolut Travel Card Features
- Standard, premium, and metal subscription accounts would cost $0, $6.99, and $12.99, respectively.
- With a Revolut card, you can spend over 150 different currencies while traveling.
- You can also get medical travel insurance for as little as £1.00 per day.
- Get a weekly breakdown of your spending habits.
- Set monthly spending limits to gain control of your spending.
- Earn a high rate of return on your savings.
- Earn points when you use your Revolut card anywhere.
- The free withdrawal cap of €200 per month is extremely appealing to long-term travelers (in the Free Plan). If the monthly limit is exceeded, a flat 2% charge is imposed.
- You can exchange cryptocurrency for fiat currencies using Revolut.
Revolut Rewards And Miles
Revolut provides several cashback schemes and rewards to its users on every level, whether free or premium users. On Revolut's website, we could find cashback of up to 10% on travel, 30% on restaurants, 10% on entertainment, and 15% on groceries & Shopping.
However, we couldn't find any information on Revolut's official website if the company provides miles as rewards for traveling.
This mobile bank was the first to launch in Europe, making it a market pioneer in the EU. N26 provides its users with a Mastercard debit card. The company provides extremely competitive real-time exchange rates. You can quickly create an account and begin using it to make a transfer as soon as possible. Another advantage is that you can order the card online and have it delivered to you. The only criticism we have for N26 is that it is only available in a few countries, namely the EU and the US.
N26 Travel card Features
- A user-friendly and up-to-date banking app
- A Mastercard debit card with minimal to no fees
- Subscription fees are divided into three levels, with a free version included in each.
- ATM withdrawal fees are low, and if you have an N26 metal subscription, you can withdraw money in Euros for free.
- With the mobile bank, you can use overdraft and obtain a line of credit.
- Wise collaborates with it to provide its users with real-time currency exchange.
- Enjoy low insurance rates (medical, luggage, and flight delay compensation, among other things!)
- Google Pay and Apple Pay are both accepted.
N26 Rewards and Miles
N26 has a long list of offers and discounts available to its users, including a lucrative referral program. The mobile bank has partners with some big names to bring its users extraordinary deals. The partnership includes Adidas, Udemy, Yoox, and booking.com. Travelers can get up to 20% off their hotel selection when using N26 cards at booking.com. However, we weren't able to find any information about the company offering miles as a reward on its website.
This is another mobile bank, like N26, that offers travelers a Mastercard-enabled debit card. The card allows you to make payments anywhere without incurring additional fees. Monzo offers its customers real-time mid-market exchange rates. Because the FCA regulates the company, you can be confident that your money will be safe with this mobile bank. The only drawback to Monzo is that it is only available in the United Kingdom. However, the company has stated that it plans to expand its reach shortly.
Monzo travel card Features
- Free ATM withdrawals in the EEA, while in other countries, you can withdraw £200 for free every 30 days. After that, a 3% fee is added.
- Mid-market currency exchange with no hidden fees
- Pay online and in-store anywhere MasterCard is taken, which is in many places.
- Monzo also has a joint account feature if you are traveling with a partner.
- Real-time travel reports on your expenses in a new country and the current exchange rate in the country.
- Provide excellent interest rate on savings
- Allows for overdraft and loans to help you in time of need
Monzo Rewards and Miles
Monzo provides a cashback program for its users. However, there is no miles program for travelers with a Monzo card.
Monese claims to be the ultimate travel card you'll need, but the features it provides aren't as great as some of the ones mentioned above. Nonetheless, the Monese card provides users with mid-market exchange rates and low ATM withdrawal fees. However, much like other travel debit cards, its available only to UK and EU residents,
Monese Travel Card Features
- You will have access to free Cash withdrawals worldwide up to €200/£200 a month.
- You may also create a dual currency account (EUR or GBP)
- Oversee your travel budget more effectively with the Monese app's real-time visual depiction of spending patterns.
- Direct debits for monthly spending can be easily set up and stopped.
- There is no charge for topping up with another bank card (within the monthly limit, which differs across its three plans)
Monese Card Rewards and Miles
Monese offers a lucrative referral program where users could benefit. The company also has partnerships with some big names like Paypal and Avios. However, no mention of miles for travelers anywhere on Monese's website.
Best Travel Credit Card by Countries
Unfortunately one of the biggest downsides of travel money cards is that they are only available in a select number of countries or regions. However, today we will give you a list of the best travel money cards you can start using in your country today.
Best Travel card for Europe
The best travel card to use in Europe is the Revolut travel card.
It has no currency conversion fees, and you can avoid ATM withdrawal fees. It also has a good exchange rate for exchanging currencies. It’s hard to find cards that don’t charge these two types of fees, so this one stands out from the crowd. The account comes with free international money transfers of up to €1,000 per month. On the Standard and Plus plans, you can withdraw up to 200 euros, pounds, or dollars for free, depending on the currency of your account. If you upgrade to the Premium and Metal plans, you can withdraw 400 and 800 dollars, pounds or euros, respectively, each month for free. In the standard free version of Revolut once you have withdrawn 200, then a fee applies. That fee is 2% of the withdrawal, subject to a minimum fee of €1 per operation.
Other honorable mentions include:
Best Travel Card for the United Kingdom
There are a lot of different travel credit cards out there, and it can be hard to know which one is right for you. If you're looking for the best travel credit card for the UK, here are a few things to consider:
- What type of traveler are you? Do you spend a lot on flights, hotels, or both? If you spend more on flights, look for a card that offers bonuses or rewards specifically for airfare. If you spend more on hotels, look for a card that offers hotel loyalty points or discounts.
- Where do you want to travel? If you plan to stick to the UK, look for a card that doesn't have any foreign transaction fees. If you'll be traveling outside of the country, find a card with no international transaction fees so your money will go further when used abroad.
- You may also want to find a card with an EMV chip so you can use your card overseas without having to carry cash or pull out large amounts of cash from an ATM. Plus, if you're worried about carrying cash abroad, some cards offer great security features like purchase protection so if anything happens to your belongings while traveling, your purchase will be covered.
- Finally, make sure the rewards program is tailored to your lifestyle and spending habits so you don't miss out on valuable opportunities for free stuff!
Here's a list of services that provide the most adequate cards to use in the UK:
Best Travel Card for Australia
The travel card choices are not very much for Australian users. However, they still have access to the two best travel money cards. Australians look for Prepaid cards mostly to partake in iGaming or betting. Aussies can either use:
Best Travel Card for the USA
If you’re from the red white and blue, then your options are very limited as many of the Travel money cards haven’t expanded into the US yet. However, the good news is that many of them plan too and one, in particular, has made the jump. US residents can enjoy all of the fantastic perks of using N26 as their travel card.
Best Travel Cards for Canada
For Canadian travelers, the picking is very slim when it comes to travel money cards. However, one of the best travel money cards is available to Canadians and that is Revolut. Yeah, you will be missing the opportunity of choice but we are sure you won't be missing much with Revolut.
Best Travel Card For Students
Students don't really have a lot of money to spend while traveling, whether it's an au pair year or just a trip with friends. Students need to find ways to save money on their travels at every turn. You have probably heard stories of students couch surfing their way through Europe, India, and other countries.
Another big way students can save a lot of money is by avoiding high currency conversion rates at high banks. Also, high transfer fees and commissions at ATMs. Students can avoid most of these fees or pay way less in fees if they used one of the travel cards mentioned below:
Many of the younger generations of students have already flocked to using mobile payment apps as they speak more to them. However, even more college and university students ditch their banks for cards like Revolut. What is so enticing to students about this card? Well, it's because of the features provided by companies such as Revolut. Let's look at some of the reasons why using a card like Revolut is best for students.
Spend money abroad with Real-time market exchange rates
Many of the students in the world are far from home, and they will eventually need to return. Or at least for the holidays, which means they will need to send or receive money overseas. Whether your parents are trying to send you your allowance or sending money for a relative birthday, With Revolut, you can do that free of charge in a few taps.
You won't be getting ripped off by the high banking fees and no long waiting periods for money to be sent or received. When traveling, a Revolut card can be a student's best friend with student discounts and other rewards.
Students usually don't have a lot of money to waste, and every dollar counts. So, getting a daily statement of your spending is essential for students. The app quickly helps them group their payments into different sections such as restaurant, transportation, entertainment, etc. The Analysis can help students spend their money better and make them aware of how much money they are spending.
Easily Split Bills
One of the most inconvenient parts of college life is constantly having to remind people that you covered their dinner last night and you haven't received their share. Or perhaps you go out with your friends, and you cover the check with the hopes that everyone would reimburse you as soon as possible. Then it turns into a game of cat and mouse where you are endlessly chasing them for your money.
You can skip all of this hassle with Revolut. How? The mobile app has a built-in feature that lets you add people you would like to split bills with, and everyone goes home happy. The app can do this seamlessly because it has no account details or sort code, so transfers are quick and free of charge.
There is one word every student loves to hear, and it's free and so Revolut. Students do not have to pay anything to sign up for an account. Neither do they have to pay for a travel card and no service fees? It seems too good to be true, but it is true.
Another reason why Revolut is the best travel card for students is simply the fact that they don't need to go to any physical location. Students don't have to wait in line or have to endure long waiting times. They can sign up and verify their identity in a matter of minutes via the Revolut app or website, with such ease who could say no to Revolut Travel Cards.
Learn about budgeting
Budgeting is a topic that many students don't like to get into, despite it being an important issue. However, if you fail to take responsibility for your incoming and outgoing expenses, you will be in a bad financial situation. Imagine you have to budget for a trip, and you have no idea where to start.
That is where Revolut budgeting tools come to the aid of many students. With this tool, students can type in the amount of money they intend to spend for the month. At the same time, Revolut will help you stick to that budget.
Saving made easy
Saving money isn't a problem that students only face. It is a global problem for people of different ages. However, getting a student to save might be even more difficult in our fast world. In a world where trends change quickly, and the new becomes old in just a year or two.
Students feel the need to keep on with the times and constantly spend money, which makes savings an afterthought for most students. Revolut can help change this behavior in the least invasive way possible. With Revolut, you can use its saving tool to help round up the sum every time you purchase.
You're not going to be saving a lot of money this way. However, it is a step in the right direction and easy for students to use. If you start saving early, you will reap the benefit later. Whether it's for a trip, present, or a new computer, it's never too early to start saving. With Revolut, you can even get rewards for saving.
Other Alternative Travel cards for students
They are other digital banks providing Travel debit cards. So, there is a lot of competition in the industry. Some of our honorable mentions include :
You can read our full review of these travel debit cards here.
What Makes a Travel Credit Card the Best?
Before we get into the best travel cards, let's take a look at what they are. Let's take a closer look at what makes a good travel credit card. Fees, fees, and more fees will always be mentioned when deciding which credit card to use. Fees, whether ATM withdrawal fees, point of sale fees, or conversion rate fees, are the most dreaded aspect of any travel card. However, they are typically in the 2-5 percent range, but they can certainly add up over time.
New companies in the travel credit card market have set out to demolish the industry's long-standing practice of charging high fees to travelers. Travelers are becoming more aware of the schemes used by banks to force them to pay higher fees.
So, you're an adventurer who enjoys traveling or you're about to embark on a long-awaited long trip. Here are some things to look for when selecting a travel credit card.
- A travel card should be simple to apply for and, ideally, delivered to you in the comfort of your own home.
- It should provide you with complete control over your funds, whether you are transferring money or making deposits.
- The best travel card should be capable of holding multiple currencies at the same time.
- ATM withdrawal fees are minimal.
- Competitive exchange rates
- Service fees and other charges are minimal or non-existent.
- Excellent multilingual customer service available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- It has an app that allows you to keep track of your spending and fees.
Best Airline Rewards Credit Cards with Miles
Post by Ibrahim Busari
How Much Are Travel Points and Miles Worth in 2022
Post by Ibrahim Busari
Best bank cards and apps for kids
Post by Ese Precious
Best Banks for Digital Nomads
Post by Ese Precious
Does Not Using a Credit Card Hurt Your Credit Score?
Post by Ese Precious
Best Credit Card for FIFA Qatar World Cup 2022
Post by Ese Precious
Best Cards for Weddings and Honeymoons
Post by Ese Precious
How To Compare Travel Credit Cards
Post by Ese Precious